Expedia Software Development Engineer in Amman, Jordan
Want to drop code in front of millions of people?
We are opening a new office in Jordan which will be a part of our global development team. This is a unique opportunity to join us now to help shape the culture for our Amman office, and grow your career as we grow the office into a full and equal location in our global team, raising the bar for software development worldwide. The Amman team will initially work on an internal project to ramp-up on our ecosystem and learn our business. After a few months, your team will join one of our global teams.
Every day, we at Expedia get to innovate on web applications that millions of travelers use to plan, book and experience trips they will remember forever. Working both independently and as part of a larger team, you will utilize your critical thinking skills and technical expertise to creatively contribute to the development of software that scales to our global customer base.
How we work
Software development teams are made up of several Developers with varied experience levels so team members learn from each other. Each team takes on challenges and solves problems in their space, and ships solutions to customers as frequently as possible, often multiple times a day.
This is the ideal position for experienced developers who are ready to take the next step and lead local team members to deliver complex projects. In this role, you will mentor other team members, champion best practices, and collaborate with business and technical teams to solve challenging problems and eliminate roadblocks.
We don't need you to be equally strong in all areas, but it is important that you be comfortable with your ability to do all these things, and if you are exceptionally good at some of them we look forward to seeing you at your best.
- Write code — lots of it. Much of our code is in Java, but we use all kinds of languages and frameworks and we welcome programmers of all backgrounds
- Work in an agile team and look for ways to continuously improve through asking and providing feedback
- Analyze and resolve production support issues in cooperation with the Operations team and other developers
- Ensure that all code that your team produces is rigorously tested in an automated fashion (we encourage TDD/BDD)
- Work closely with product owners to define roadmaps and backlogs
- Effectively communicate and collaborate across locations and time zones
- Knows when to ask for help, but is rarely blocked waiting for it
Education and professional experience guidelines
- Most important - a hunger to learn! We want people who are curious and eager to develop new skills
- 3 years of experience writing web applications and/or services
- Familiarity with Java and the ability to learn new languages and frameworks
- Proficiency in any of these are a plus: AWS, Docker, bash, NodeJS, Mongo, Redis
- A passion to thrive in a fast-paced environment
Our cultural norms are what makes us Expedia:
We believe in being Different. We seek new ideas, different ways of thinking, diverse backgrounds and approaches, because averages can lie and sameness is dangerous. Because of this belief, our norms aren't rules or universal at all corners of our company. But they are important to our identity and how we work together. Like our company, these norms will evolve.
We are Transparent. We communicate openly and honestly, at all levels, upwards, sideways and downwards. We surface difficult issues quickly, we act, we learn.
We organize for Speed. We seek to gather data as fast as possible, and move. Speed allows us to make mistakes and constantly improve.
We believe in the Scientific Method. Everyone’s ideas are equal in the face of hard data. We use data to guide but not define our actions.
We Lead Humbly. Our leaders serve their teams. None of us has all of the answers, but we are curious and we are always looking to learn. Though our leaders take their responsibilities to our business and their teams incredibly seriously, they never take themselves too seriously.
We act as One Team. We look to optimize for the greater good, not just our own, or even our own teams' interests. We are actively interested in the success of others.
The projects you work on at Expedia will improve the experience of millions of travelers worldwide and help connect people through the power of travel.
- Posted 19 Days Ago
- Full time